Sunday, October 30, 2011

SHORT DRAMA ON MALARIA

SCENE 1: LAIDE’S ROOM {INT} NIGHT
CHARACTERS: LAIDE, MOM
Camera opens first in Laide’s room and we see her parking her luggage in anger and her angry mom pacing up and down the room
MOM:       {IN RAGE} Mr Kolade you are a big disappointment, you told me that there is no problem that everything has been sorted out {SHE LISTENS TO THE OTHER END} oh no no no that is not acceptable by me, I need you to refund my money before this week runs out or else you will see the hell that I’ll bring to your life {CUTS THE CALL AND TURNS TO HER DAUGHTER} my darling am really sorry that you have to go through this. I promise that
LAIDE:     no promises mom, you’ve failed to fulfil the one you made before. Now am stuck in a thick archaic village, who knows if they’ll even have basic amenities.
MOM:       you’ll redeploy after your three weeks in camp
LAIDE:     mom please give a break, I need some time alone to get through this shock
MOM:       ok but if you need help don’t hesitate to call me {SHE LEAVES THE ROOM}                                                                   CUTS…
SCENE 2: HALIMA’S HOUSE SITTING ROOM {INT} NIGHT
CHARACTERS: HALIMA, DAD
Camera opens and we see Halima and her dad happy and gisting
HALIMA: I wish mom is alive to see this day, that her daughter has finally made it to the finish
DAD:         i am sure that your mom is looking down and she is proud of you.
HALIMA: {SMILES} thanks dad. So what do you think of Zahara state?
DAD:         it is like any other state in this country with all its challenges, but anyways I am happy for you, but remember always try to affect people’s lives positively and be a good ambassador of this family
HALIMA: thanks dad {STANDS UP} I need to go and get ready, it’s going to be a long day tomorrow.
DAD:         good night {SMILING}                                                CUTS…

SCENE: 3 IN A CAR PARK {EXT} DAY
CHARACTER: CHINENYE, MOM
Camera opens and we see Chinenye bringing out her luggage’s from her mom’s car
MOM:       {HELPS HER DAUGHTER} all these load that you are taking with you, be mindful that you are not going there to be so comfortable
CHINENYE:     {BUSY ARRANGING HER LUGGAGES} mom I have my own strategies. Am not going there to be comfortable, I have made my research and I know that I will make some money there
MOM:       just be careful when you get there because you have to learn the environment you are going into before you start any business. Give me feedback and call me if you need anything at all
CHINENYE:     I’ll do just that mom anyway I gotta go {SHE GOES TO THE BUS WHILE HER MOTHER DRIVES OFF}                     CUTS..

SCENE 4: ZAHARA VILLAGE {EXT} DAY
CHARACTERS:         LAIDE, HALIMA, CHINENYE, TADD, MARKO, SASHA
Camera opens and we see six youth corpers staring straight in front of them we see a thick village without civilization
TADD:      is there still a place in this country that looks like this?
HALIMA:           as you can see there is
CHINENYE:     {STARING IN AWE} this was not part of the business plan
MARKO:  we need to see the person in charge, because I don’t think I can take this {HE TAKES THE LEAD AND OTHERS FOLLOWED HIM}                                                                                                    CUTS…
SCENE 5: IN THE L.G.A OFFICE {EXT} SAME DAY
CHARACTERS: ASSISTANT, CHINENYE, MARKO, TADD, LAIDE, HALIMA, SASHA
Camera opens and we see the six corpers standing in frustration listening to the assistant
ASSISTANT:    am really sorry she travelled and until she’s back there is nothing I can do about what you guys are asking of me, because only her signature is permitted on your documents before your redeployment will be accepted.
LAIDE:     {IN RAGE} then why are you called an assistant?
ASSISITANT: {ANSWERS CALMLY} I am called an assistant because I help people like you in this kind of situation. Your lodge has been cleaned up and you’ve had a long day I think you should come in and rest
LAIDE: {SCOFFS} rest in this wretched house? Without light, no water, I’m so out of here first thing tomorrow morning.
SASHA:    {REBUKES LAIDE} quit been harsh on this guy he’s just an assistant and is helping us
LAIDE:     whatever I didn’t ask for your opinion {CAMERA FOLLOWS AS THEY WALK INSIDE THEIR LODGE}                         CUTS………….
SCENE 6: ON A VERY BAD ROAD
Camera opens and we see that the road has been by divided by natural disaster; the corpers are standing there in frustration
LAIDE:     {IN TEARS} I told my mom that I can’t do this, but she was like go for the camp I’ll work things out. Now things are working itself out.
SASHA:    so what do we do now?
ASSISTANT:    {ON HIS BIKE AS HE PASSES BY} you guys need not worry yourselves, the king and the chiefs are getting ready to welcome you officially to this village.
LAIDE:     who needs their welcome party?
ASSISTANT:    you see, people like you I believe are the future of this community. Others corpers come and run off, but you guys came in and the gods accepted you by dividing the road and preventing you from leaving.
MARKO:  {SCOFFS} gods? What is that? At this present age and time
ASSISTANT:    there is a high death rate in this village, the villagers called it a divine call from the gods but I know that this has to do with their health. This is a crude village with all its potential. They are very nice people but very protective of their tradition. {STARTS TO DRIVE OFF} see you guys at the lodge.   
HALIMA: I think we should go back and figure out if there is an option. We can make enquiries if there is another way out of this village.
SASHA: {SEARCHING FOR NETWORK} the worse is that there is no network in this village, in my own opinion I think we are trapped here,
CHINENYE: like Halima said we should go back
TADD: ok let’s go {THEY ALL START TO WALK AWAY}                                                                                                                           DISSOLVE….     
 SCENE 7: ON A LONELY ROAD {EXT} SAME DAY
CHARACTERS: HALIMA, TADD, MARKO, LAIDE, SASHA, CHINENYE, MADAM
Camera opens and we see a woman running frantically with her son in her arms she is crying, she runs into the corpers who stops her and tries to help
MARKO:  {STOPS THE WOMAN} madam please wait, what is going on where are you running to?
CHINENYE:     I don’t think it’s wise to ask strangers personal questions
MARKO:  I call it getting information; u never can tell it might be something that will be useful to us
 MADAM: I think the gods have called my son on a divine call, and I waited for ten years before I gave birth to this child.
MARKO:  so you don’t want the divine call
MADAM: I am in a lot of pain, what mother will watch her child die just like that. I am not a native of this village i got married into it. {SHAKES HER HEAD VEHEMENTLY} no I don’t want my son to die.
HALIMA: does your husband know about this?
MADAM: he is late.
MARKO:  madam can you follow us to our lodge so that I can check if this is a medical problem. I am a medical doctor.
MADAM: {SURPRISED} really? Anything for my son {SHE FOLLOWS THEM}                                                                                               CUTS
SCENE 8:          AT THE LODGE {INT} SAME DAY
CHARACTERS: MARKO, MADAM, CHINENYE
Camera opens and we see Marko giving the woman a tablet and a white paper
MARKO:  give this to him tomorrow morning after he might have finished eating and bring him to me after two days
MADAM:   {LOOKS AT HER SON SLEEPING PEACEFULLY} in the morning? What is wrong with my son?
MARKO: your son is suffering from malaria, give him this drug and make sure that you boil his drinking water allow it to get cold, sieve it before he drinks it.
MADAM: ok, that’s all? {MARKO NODS} thank you but can I ask you a question? What is the meaning of these nets on your sleeping area and what is malaria?
CHINENYE:     madam it’s called mosquito nets and I have some for sale. That is if you can afford it
MARKO:  malaria is an infectious disease caused by a parasite (plasmodium) which is transmitted from human to human by the bite of infected female Anopheles mosquitoes.
MADAM: {MORE CONFUSED} OK? So what is mosquito net?
MARKO:  it is a net made to shield children and parents from mosquito bites and other likeable insect bite.
MADAM: can I have one for myself and child?
CHINENYE:     {VERY RUDE} only if you can afford it
MADAM: How much is it?
CHINENYE:     it is N500 but I can give it to you for N250 considering the fact that I think that there isn’t much left.
MADAM: {BRINGS OUT MONEY AND GIVES IT TO CHINENYE TO HER DISMAY} get me one, this might be an uncivilized village but that doesn’t mean that we are dumb. I think you should blame the government for our situation. {MARKO LOOK AT CHINEYE IN A MOCKY MANNER}
CHINENYE:     that is not funny {SHE WALKS OUT}
SCENE 9: IN THE GIRL’S ROOM OF THE CORPERS LODGE
CHARACTERS: CHINENYE, SASHA, HALIMA, LAIDE
Camera opens and we see Chinenye enter the room murmuring and the girls who were gisting stopped to look at her
HALIMA:          what is the problem?
CHINENYE:     {SNAPS} nothing am just angry at everything {PICKS A PACKAGED MOSQUITO NET AND STORMS OUT}
HALIMA: Sasha is not back yet? What is keeping them so long?
LAIDE:     maybe they’ve decided not to come back         
SASHA:    {GREETS EVERYBODY EXCITEDLY} hello am back {THE GIRLS ARE EXCITED}.
LAIDE:     what of Tadd?
SASHA:    he should be in his room {THE GIRLS HELPS HER TO UNPACK THE THINGS IN THE BAG}
LAIDE: {SURPRISED} I can’t believe that Marko will use his money to buy all of this stuff just because he is a medical doctor
HALIMA: they call it serving your fatherland
LAIDE: hmmm! Indeed one which will not be recognised.
CHINENYE:     {WALKS INTO THE ROOM} Marko wants to see all of us immediately in the common room
LAIDE:     for what? What is he the prefect of this house?
SASHA:  young lady take it easy you are too aggressive {ALL OF THEM STARTS TO LEAVE WITH LAIDE BEHIND THEM AFTER HESITATING}                                                                    DISSOLVES…

SCENE 10:        COMMON ROOM OF THE CORPERS LODGE                                      {INT} SAME DAY
CHARACTERS: MARKO, TADD, SASHA, CHINENYE, HAILMA, LAIDE, ASSISTANT
Camera opens and we see all of them seated and are listening carefully to Marko
MARKO:  I was taught that in any situation I find myself I should make the most out of it. I believe that making a positive impact in human lives goes a long way in proving to us that there is more to life than money clothes, influence and many other things. Let us put a smile on people’s faces even if we still want to leave this community I beg that we become a team while the local government head is still away, to teach and assist these people on their health conditions. We will be going to the king’s palace tomorrow to chip in this idea to him.
SASHA: {THOUGHTFULLY} yea I heard that “the gods” are given his only son a divine call
HALIMA: we can use that means to educate them on the symptoms of malaria and possible steps to take.
ASSISTANT:    how do we get the government into helping us, cos we can’t use our funds to help them?
MARKO:  who says we will use our funds, the king will supply that for now until we can get the government into this. {TURNS TO LAIDE} Laide do you have anything to say?
LAIDE:     and how do you plan to get government into this?
MARKO:  Tadd will be the camera man, he will video everything that we do as regards to this project, after which we will send the tape to the minister of health, through that we have gone the extra mile to fulfilling our part. Halima you’ll assist as the nurse since you have a degree in that. So we all agree? {THEY ALL NODDED IN AGREEMENT}
                                                                                                CUTS….
SCENE 11:         KING’S PALACE {INT} DAY
CHARACTER: KING, FIVE CHIEFS, SON, MARKO, HALIMA, TADD, CHINENYE
Camera opens and we see Marko educating the King and his chiefs on Malaria
MARKO:  malaria attacks present over 4 to 6 hours with shaking chills, high fever, and sweating, and are often associated with fatigue, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, dry cough, muscle or joint pain, and back ache. The attacks may occur every other day or every third day. Cerebral malaria and death can occur, sometimes within 24 hours, if the infection is caused by plasmodium falciparum. Fever or other symptoms can develop in malaria as early as 8 days or as late as 60 days after exposure or stopping prophylaxis. {ALL THE CHIEFS ARE CONFUSED}
CHIEF 1:  out of all these gramma that you are speaking I only understood the fatigue, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, dry cough and the rest of the other things which I am feeling too
CHIEF 2:           allow them to do what they know how to do best. He said that he’s a doctor, so allow him. {THE KING’S SERVANT LEADS MARKO INTO THE ROOM}
CHIEF 3:           that does not mean that our gods are not capable
KING:       oh no! I thank the gods because I feel it in my bones that they are the ones that sent us these people as the solution to the deaths in this community {THE CHIEFS NOD IN AGREEMENT}
CHINENYE:     your highness apart from the drugs there is also something that you and your family can use to prevent future cause of malaria.
KING:       go on
CHINENYE:     what I am talking about is treated mosquito net. {SHE SHOWS THEM} but they are for sale. Dr Marko will give the villagers the lecture on everything that they need to know on keeping a healthy life.
KING:       how many of that do you have?
CHINENYE:     100 of them
KING:       bring all of them hear tomorrow
CHINENYE:     {GRINING} yes your highness but I have some here {BRINGS SOME OUT AND GIVES IT TO THE KING’S STANDING SERVANT}
MARKO:  {STEPS OUT WITH TADD HOLDING HIS VIDEO CAMERA} he will be fine by tomorrow.
KING:       {CONCERNED} tomorrow? Please use this on him too. I believe you know how it works {GIVES MARKO THE MOSQUITO NET AND HE ENTERS THE CHAMBERS WITH TADD AGAIN. HIS SERVANT ENTERS WITH THEM AND COMES OUT WITH A BAG} this is your reward. {GIVES HER SOME MONEY} send a message through my servant on how much the rest will cost. {CHINENYE NODS IN RESPECT, HALIMA STARTS TO EDUCATE THE CHIEFS ON MALARIA JUST AS THE CAMERA STARTS TO DISSOLVE}
SCENE 12:        THE VILLAGE SQUARE {EXT} DAY
CHARACTERS: VILLAGERS, FIVE CHIEFS, KING, SERVANTS, ASSISTANT, LAIDE, HALIMA, SASHA, CHINENYE, TADD, MARKO, GOVT REP
Camera opens and we see all the villagers lined up in the village square collecting their free mosquito nets, from another corner we see Halima and Laide demonstrating to the people who have gotten their own, we also see Dr Marko and other deployed doctors assisting to treat people, and Tadd is busy videoing the whole event, we also see the media that came with the government.
GOVT REP:      His Royal Highness, elders in council, people of Zaharamata village of Zahara state, greetings from the office of the presidency and minister of health. I stand on behalf of the minister of health to say that I am proud that we still have people like these youth corpers that have the interest of their country at heart. You did not run away from the challenges of been posted to this kind of place. Instead you took the situation and transformed it into something better. The video you sent got to the minister and fortunately the minister was with the president at that time {WE SEE THE SIX CORPERS SMILE AT EACH OTHER} that is why we taking drastic measures to ensure that we put an end to the reign of malaria in this village. And to tell other youth corpers like you that there is a price for every action of yours. The president has told me to announce to you that you will be given automatic employment {THE SIX CORPERS STARTS TO SCREAM IN EXCITEMENT} to any ministry of your choice after your service year. And investors have discovered other potentials in this village and are willing to invest. A teaching hospital will be built in this village with all its equipment; and other basic amenities will be brought to this village in fact the contract has been handed to one of our contractors. On behalf of the president and the minister of health I say thank you. {EVERYBODY STARTS TO CLAP ONE OF THE CHIEFS GOES TO THE STAND AND MAKES HIS COMMENT WHILE CAMERA MIRROR DOWN TO THE SIX FRIENDS}
LAIDE:     I am glad to be part of this {OTHER STARE AT HER IN GREAT SURPRISE}
HALIMA: you never wanted to be in this place from the start
LAIDE:     I know but seeing these people smile, makes me happy. I have learnt something about all of this
SASHA:    hmm! Interesting tell me what did you learn
LAIDE:     that how you affect people’s lives matters a lot and the most important of all is leaving a mark, a print, a signature in people’s lives; so that when you are gone they will always remember you.
TADD:      I don’t think that we need a closing remark {THE GIRLS GIGGLE} this is the best of all the closing remarks I have heard all my life.
LAIDE:     {EYES HIM} are you hitting on me?
CHINENYE:     {GROANS} oh not again {THEY ALL WALK AWAY LEAVING TADD AND LAIDE TO ARGUE}
TADD:      what do you by that question {MIMICKS HER} am I hitting on you? {THE ARGUMENT CONTINUES AS THE CAMERA DISSOLVES ON THEM PERMANENTLY AS CLOSING CREDIT ROLLS.}

No comments:

Post a Comment